From the Norman Conquest to the Civil War slighting
1066 — The Thames Crossing
Wallingford's importance begins not with a battle but with a river crossing. In 1066, William the Conqueror led his army towards London after his victory at Hastings, and it was at Wallingford that he found a place to bring his forces across the river. The town already held one of the few reliable crossing points on this stretch of the Thames, which made it strategically indispensable long before any stone or timber fortification stood on the site.
William's choice to cross here was not incidental, and it was helped along by local politics: Wigod, the Saxon lord of Wallingford, was a known Norman sympathiser and welcomed William rather than resisting him. Wallingford sat at the junction of long-distance routes running along the river valley and up into the Chilterns, and whoever controlled the crossing controlled movement between the south and the Midlands. This single event set the town's fate for the next six hundred years: within a year, William had ordered a fortress built here to secure what he had just won.
1067–71 — The Castle Is Built
On William's orders, the Norman knight Robert D'Oilly began constructing Wallingford Castle around 1067, completing the initial works by about 1071. D'Oilly built in the classic Norman motte-and-bailey style: a steep, artificial mound (the motte) topped with a timber keep, connected to a bailey — an enclosed yard containing secondary buildings — the whole ringed by a wooden palisade. This was one of a chain of royal strongholds, alongside Oxford and Windsor, designed to lock down the Thames Valley for the new Norman regime.
D'Oilly did not build in empty ground. Wallingford was already one of the largest fortified Anglo-Saxon towns in England — a burh founded by King Alfred, and the equal in size to his own capital, Winchester — and the new castle absorbed sections of the existing town defences into its own perimeter. D'Oilly consolidated his hold over his new estates by marrying Aldgytha, Wigod's daughter, a common Norman tactic for smoothing over a change of regime and legitimising his authority among the local population. The people of Wallingford, meanwhile, were rewarded for their co-operation with William with an extra hour before curfew — a privilege still marked today by the curfew bell tolling at nine rather than eight.
It's worth being clear about what kind of castle this actually was in 1071: a timber one. D'Oilly's fortress followed the standard early Norman recipe — a conical earth mound topped with a wooden keep, enclosed by a bailey and a wooden palisade, not the stone ruins visible on the site today. The conversion to stone is usually credited to Brian FitzCount, who is said to have rebuilt the castle in the 1130s with a stone shell keep and curtain wall, shortly before the Anarchy broke out — meaning the castle Matilda's forces held so famously against King Stephen was a relatively new stone fortress, not the sixty-year-old timber structure D'Oilly had originally raised. That said, specialist researchers have pushed back on dating this so precisely: an academic study of the castle's finances argues the sums recorded in the royal Pipe Rolls before 1200 are too small to represent a single dramatic stone rebuild, and more likely reflect ongoing repairs and upgrades to a fortress that may already have had stone elements earlier than the 1130s. So while "stone by the 1130s, under FitzCount" is the standard popular account, the true process was probably a longer, messier one of incremental masonry upgrades rather than one clean conversion.
What Did the Town Make of It? The Domesday Evidence
Building the castle meant demolishing part of the existing town, and the Domesday Book of 1086 records the damage in unusually specific terms. In 1066 the borough had contained 276 houses on eight virgates of land; by 1086, eight of these properties had been destroyed to make way for the castle, including a number of high-status Saxon residences, and the construction disrupted part of the street grid, though the main thoroughfares survived intact. One historian has gone further, suggesting the castle was built directly on top of high-status Anglo-Saxon housing likely belonging to the king's own housecarls — meaning the site displaced the homes of elite royal household troops, not ordinary townsfolk.
By the standards of the time, Wallingford actually got off lightly. Eight demolished properties is a small figure set against other towns where the Normans imposed a castle: Cambridge lost twenty-seven dwellings to its castle, and Lincoln lost one hundred and sixty-six. Why Wallingford escaped so much more cheaply is still debated among historians, with theories ranging from the castle's initial footprint being smaller than its surviving earthworks suggest, to the site having already been crown land rather than ordinary custom-paying borough property. What the record does not contain is any account of protest or resistance from the townspeople — unsurprising, given that Wigod, the pre-Conquest lord of Wallingford, had already welcomed William and entertained him on his arrival, and Robert D'Oilly married straight into that same Saxon elite. The voices most likely to register opposition in the surviving sources were the very people who had already thrown in their lot with the Conqueror; Domesday counts houses, not sentiment, so how ordinary townspeople felt about a fortress rising inside their own walls simply was not the kind of thing an 11th-century tax survey was built to record.
1135–53 — The Anarchy
Wallingford Castle found itself at the centre of England's civil war during the reign of King Stephen, when Empress Matilda contested his claim to the throne. Held by Matilda's steadfast supporter Brien FitzCount, the castle withstood repeated sieges by Stephen's forces without ever surrendering — a remarkable feat given how long and how viciously the conflict dragged on. Its resistance became a symbol of Matilda's cause at a time when many of her other strongholds had fallen, and the castle stood as the most easterly base of the Empress's faction throughout the war.
The standoff at Wallingford eventually produced one of the more consequential treaties in English medieval history. In 1153, King Stephen and the forces of Henry — Matilda's son — faced off outside the castle in what became a stalemate rather than a battle. The resulting Treaty of Wallingford effectively ended the civil war: Stephen was allowed to keep the throne for his lifetime, but recognised Henry as his heir. When Henry became Henry II shortly afterwards, Wallingford's loyalty during the Anarchy had helped decide the succession of the English crown.
The Siege Castles: Crowmarsh and Beyond
Because Wallingford Castle itself proved impossible to storm, King Stephen resorted to a strategy typical of Anarchy-era warfare: building his own counter-castles nearby to blockade it rather than attacking it directly. Between 1145 and 1146 he raised a powerful counter-castle directly across the Thames at Crowmarsh Gifford, and supplemented it with further castles to the west at Brightwell, South Moreton and Cholsey, effectively encircling Wallingford with a ring of hostile garrisons. None of this brought about a surrender, and in 1152 Stephen returned with a larger force, re-establishing the Crowmarsh stronghold and building a further fort overlooking Wallingford Bridge, settling in to starve the castle out rather than assault it. Archaeological excavation of the Crowmarsh Castle ditch has since recovered an unusually high proportion of jugs and pitchers alongside horse fittings, knives and dress ornaments, pointing to a well-appointed, high-status garrison rather than a rough field fort.
The decisive turn came in 1153, when Henry — the future Henry II — marched to relieve the starving garrison and turned the tables by placing Stephen's own counter-castle at Crowmarsh under siege. Contemporary accounts describe fierce fighting at the site, including a sortie by Stephen's men and the beheading of sixty captured royal archers, even as the wider conflict was otherwise marked by posturing and negotiation rather than bloodshed. With Stephen's relieving force and Henry's army facing one another across the river soon afterwards, both sides chose a truce over a pitched battle. As part of the settlement, Henry was permitted to demolish Stephen's counter-castle at Crowmarsh, clearing the way for the Treaty of Wallingford and, ultimately, Henry's own succession to the throne.
1155 — The Charter of Liberties
Wallingford's reward for its loyalty during the Anarchy came swiftly once Henry took the throne. In 1155, Henry II held a Great Council at Wallingford and openly rewarded the town for supporting his mother, Matilda, by granting it a Charter of Liberties — one of the oldest such charters in England. It was a direct and deliberate payoff for six years of siege and privation on the town's part, formalising Wallingford's status rather than merely thanking it in passing.
The Charter carried real, lasting privileges: it allowed the town to have its own Guild and Burgesses and to hold regular markets, traditions that continue in Wallingford to this day. The town's regalia, including a 17th-century silver-gilt mace, are still used in civic ceremony and displayed in the Town Hall — a direct institutional line running from a 12th-century civil war to the town's present-day governance.
13th Century — Royal Castle
The thirteenth century brought Wallingford Castle both its greatest military use and its most luxurious chapter. King John, who had seized the castle during a revolt in 1191 and reclaimed it as king in 1199, made extensive use of it during the First Barons' War of 1215–16, reinforcing its defences and mobilising a large garrison in the lead-up to Magna Carta. But the century's defining moment came in 1231, when Henry III granted the castle to his brother, Richard, Earl of Cornwall, as his principal residence. Richard spent lavishly on the property, building a new hall and adding luxurious fittings, and hosted Henry III on multiple visits through the 1220s and 1230s. Under Richard, Wallingford was less a garrison than a palace.
The peace did not last. Richard's election as King of the Romans in 1251 drew him away from Wallingford, and the castle was drawn back into conflict during the Second Barons' War in the 1260s. The rebel baron Simon de Montfort seized it after his victory at the Battle of Lewes and briefly used it to imprison the royal family before moving them to the more secure Kenilworth Castle. Once Henry III reclaimed the castle at the war's end, it resumed its role as a residence for the Earls of Cornwall for the rest of the century — a fitting close to a hundred years that saw the castle serve as both a weapon of war and one of the finest noble homes in England.
14th Century — Three Rings
By the fourteenth century, Wallingford Castle had grown into one of the largest and most heavily defended fortresses in England. Continuous investment across the previous two centuries had transformed D'Oilly's original earthwork into a concentric castle — a design built around three successive walls and three moats, each ring providing a further obstacle for any attacking force. Reaching the innermost bailey meant fighting through three complete lines of defence in succession, a scale of fortification that put Wallingford in the same league as the great royal castles of the era.
This period also saw the castle used as a dynastic asset by the crown, and as the backdrop for real palace intrigue. Edward II granted it to his favourite, Piers Gaveston, who held a huge tournament in the castle in 1307; after Gaveston's fall, the castle passed into use as a prison for the King's political opponents, the so-called Contrariants, and in 1323 a plot was uncovered to free two of them, Maurice, Lord Berkeley and Hugh Audley the Elder, from captivity there. Queen Isabella's own conspiracy against her husband took shape not at Wallingford but in France, where she formed her alliance and affair with the exiled Roger Mortimer from around 1325, and their invasion force landed far from Wallingford, at Orwell in Suffolk, in September 1326. Wallingford's real role came once that invasion had already succeeded: it was from Wallingford Castle, in November 1326, that Isabella issued her reward for the head of the fleeing Hugh Despenser the Younger, briefly making the castle her operational base during the campaign's final, victorious phase.
Mortimer's ascendancy over the kingdom proved as fragile as it was total. With Edward II deposed and killed, and the new king, Edward III, still a minor, Isabella served as nominal regent while Mortimer ruled as the country's real master for roughly three years, governing so completely that people reportedly addressed him only as "Monsieur" rather than by name. In 1328 he had himself made Earl of March, a new title carrying grants across multiple counties — and, fittingly, custody of Wallingford Castle itself was folded into that grant, placing the castle directly in the hands of the man whose invasion had first made use of it. The arrangement did not survive long: in 1330, the now-adult Edward III staged a coup at Nottingham Castle, had Mortimer arrested, and saw him executed at Tyburn, reclaiming both the throne and, in time, the castle for the crown.
Later in the century, Edward the Black Prince, eldest son of Edward III, kept Wallingford as his principal residence, and Edward III settled the castle permanently on the newly created title of Duke of Cornwall, traditionally held by the monarch's eldest son — cementing Wallingford's status as a fixture of royal and princely landholding for generations to come.
15th Century — Constables, a Prince, and the Birth of the Tudors
The fifteenth century gave Wallingford two very different claims to fame: distinguished custodians, and an accidental role in founding a royal dynasty. The castle's constables during this period included Thomas Chaucer, son of the poet Geoffrey Chaucer, and William de la Pole, Duke of Suffolk, who married Geoffrey's granddaughter Alice and later endowed the school and almshouses that still stand in nearby Ewelme.
The dynastic twist came through the custody of a child king. Owen Tudor was given the task of protecting the young Henry VI, who was tutored at Wallingford, and in the course of that guardianship formed a liaison with Henry's widowed mother, Katherine of Valois. Their relationship — beginning, by tradition, at Wallingford — produced the line that would become the Tudor dynasty, meaning the House of Tudor traces its origins in part back to this castle.
16th Century — Royal Neglect
The Tudor period marked the beginning of the end for Wallingford Castle's importance. The young Henry VIII inherited the castle along with the Duchy of Cornwall estates, but he showed little interest in it, preferring instead his manor house at nearby Ewelme. Without a resident monarch or powerful lord treating it as a primary home, the castle's centuries-long cycle of continual investment and repair came to a halt, and the more settled conditions of Tudor rule meant there was simply less need for a fortress of this scale.
Once royal attention moved elsewhere, Wallingford's decline accelerated. It was Henry VIII's daughter, Queen Mary I, who dealt the castle's fabric its most direct blow: she had lead stripped from Wallingford and shipped down the Thames by barge to improve her own castle at Windsor. What had been one of England's premier royal residences for over two centuries became, within a few decades, an increasingly stripped and neglected relic.
Decline — Stone Robbed for Windsor
Mary I's lead-stripping was the start of a longer process, not the whole of it. As Wallingford Castle continued to deteriorate over the following century, more of its stone and lead were removed and repurposed elsewhere along the Thames — a pointed irony, since Wallingford had originally been built as one of William the Conqueror's chain of strongholds alongside Windsor itself. The fortress that had once helped secure the Thames Valley for the Norman crown was, by the late Tudor period, being cannibalised to maintain a rival royal seat on the same river.
This process of stripping and salvage was typical of the fate that befell many medieval castles once they lost strategic or residential value, but it was particularly steep at Wallingford given how significant the site had once been. By the time the Stuart era arrived, much of the castle's fine masonry was already gone, leaving a fortress that was structurally compromised well before it ever faced a Civil War siege.
1646 — Civil War Siege
Despite its weakened state, Wallingford Castle had one final moment of military significance during the English Civil War. After Charles I made Oxford his wartime capital in 1642, a ring of strongholds was established around it to protect the King, and Wallingford's ageing medieval castle was hastily re-fortified to meet the demands of modern warfare: its outer moat was cleared out, its walls repaired, and nearby All Hallows Church was pulled down so it could not be used as a platform for enemy guns. Colonel Thomas Blagge was appointed governor and oversaw the works.
By 1646 the Royalist cause was collapsing, and once Oxford itself surrendered in June, Wallingford was the last Royalist stronghold left standing in the region. Thomas Fairfax had already ordered the town besieged on 4 May 1646, with Blagge holding out and reportedly threatening to burn the town rather than let Parliamentary troops in. After nearly twelve weeks of prolonged negotiation and sporadic fighting — refusing to surrender without the King's own command — Blagge finally agreed terms, and on 27 July 1646 he marched his garrison out of Wallingford Castle with full military honours, the men permitted to travel ten miles before disbanding.
1652 — Slighted by Cromwell
Wallingford's honourable surrender did not mean survival. The castle was initially kept on as a garrison and prison, but by 1652 Cromwell's Council of State judged it too great a risk to remain standing at all, and ordered — and paid for — its total demolition, a process known as slighting, intended to permanently eliminate any fortress's military value rather than merely abandon it.
The demolition was thorough, reducing centuries of building work to the earthworks and rubble that remain visible today; some of the salvaged stone was even used to build a new tower for St Mary's Church in the town. What survives of Wallingford Castle now is not a ruin in the usual sense of slow decay, but the record of a deliberate act of destruction — the final chapter for a site that had stood, in one form or another, at the centre of English royal and military history for nearly six hundred years.
Later Years — A Market Town, and Judge Blackstone
Once the castle was gone, Wallingford settled back into life as an ordinary market town, its fortunes carried by iron-founding, brewing and malting rather than royal patronage or military garrisons. The town's medieval religious life shrank drastically along the way — from eleven parish churches in the thirteenth century down to just three today — but those survivors are worth seeking out: St Leonard's retains late Saxon and Norman fabric, while St Mary's, though largely rebuilt in the nineteenth century, still carries a seventeenth-century tower built from the castle's own salvaged stone.
The town's standout resident from this later period is Sir William Blackstone, the judge and legal scholar buried at St Peter's Church, near the castle site. Blackstone lived locally at Castle Priory and is best known as the author of Commentaries on the Laws of England, the definitive summary of English common law in its era. The book's influence reached well beyond Wallingford: it was a foundational reference for the framers of the United States Constitution, meaning a legal text written by a resident of this small Thames-side town helped shape the constitutional law of another nation entirely. St Peter's itself, noted for its eighteenth-century architecture and spire, is now cared for by the Churches Conservation Trust.
The Castle Site Today
Wallingford Castle's remains sit under a split system of ownership and protection that reflects the site's two different characters: a monument, and a nature reserve. The ruins themselves — the motte, the earthworks, and standing remains such as the former College of St Nicholas — occupy the Castle Gardens, which are managed by Wallingford Town Council and are legally protected as both a Scheduled Monument and a Grade I listed structure. That protection comes with a caveat: the site has been placed on Historic England's Heritage at Risk Register, owing to slow decay, weather damage, ivy regrowth, and vandalism.
The wider grounds tell a different story. Castle Meadows — the floodplain meadows, wildlife habitat, and parkland surrounding the ruins — are owned by South Oxfordshire District Council and jointly managed with the Earth Trust, a conservation charity. Under that management the meadows have become a genuine wildlife site, supporting bats, woodpeckers, the rare small blue butterfly, and a resident population of water voles, and the site has earned Green Flag status for well over a decade running. Conservation work on the ruins themselves is also actively underway: Historic England has funded a repair programme focused on stabilising the College of St Nicholas remains, carried out in partnership with the Town Council and the volunteer-run Wallingford Museum, with local information boards planned to explain the work as it progresses. So while the castle itself has been gone for over 370 years, what remains of it is neither abandoned nor forgotten — it is actively managed, monitored, and, where funding allows, being repaired.